As part of my 2019 goals, I really want to learn to cook more. I’ve successfully made creamy mushroom and prawn pasta, leek mac n’ cheese with a twist and potato and leek soup, and I really enjoy baking, but I want to broaden my horizons when it comes to making healthier dinners.
I enjoy looking for new healthy recipes to make and one of my favourite resources lately has to be Hello Fresh. They’re predominantly a recipe box service which supplies easy recipes and fresh ingredients to your door weekly with their fresh food delivery service. Even if you don’t want to have a subscription, you can still check out the site to find new and exciting recipes to try.
I’ve teamed up with Hello Fresh to create one of their popular recipes on the site: this delicious chicken with cashew nuts and yellow bean sauce. It’s a really flavoursome dish with lots of vegetables packed in, and it’s super easy to make within an hour of getting home from work! It’s perfect for eating in this warmer weather, and it would work equally well cold for lunch the next day.
We’re a big Chinese / pasta fan at home, so this recipe ticks all the boxes for us! It’s a delicious mixture of flavours and textures, and can be served as a big main dish or as an accompaniment to a main dish.
It’s a tasty recipe jam packed with flavour and texture – if you try it for yourself let me know! 🙂
- 1 cup of tenderstem broccoli
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 spring onion
- 3 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- 2 tbsp of cashew nuts
- 2 egg noodle nests
- 1 tbsp of Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of Yellow Bean sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp of ginger
- Cut the very edge of the tenderstem broccoli and discard. Finely slice the spring onion and seperate the white and greens. Peel the garlic and ginger and finely dice.
- Cut the raw chicken into thin strips and toss in the cornflour and 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Lightly crush the cashew nuts and toast in a dry pan for a few minutes until golden.
- Boil a large pot of water with 1/4 tsp of salt for the noodles and tenderstem broccoli. Boil the noodles for 4 minutes until just cooked, and add in the tenderstem for the last 2 minutes. Once cooked, drain them under cold running water and put back into a pan filled with cold water.
- Heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp of oil over a medium heat. Add the check to the pan and cook for 5 minutes (until crispy and cooked through) then remove from the pan.
- Mix together the soy sauce, yellow bean sauce, rice vinegar and 5 tbsp of water.
- Add the whites of the spring onion, garlic, ginger and sesame oil to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken back into the pan with the sauce and mix everything together. Add the drained noodles and broccoli into the pan and warm everything through.
- Dish out the stir fry into bowls and top with the toasted cashew nuts and the greens of the spring onions and voila!
- If you can't find yellow bean paste in your local shop (which I couldn't!) then look for Hoisin sauce instead.