I made it one of my goals for 2018 to cook more wholesome recipes (as opposed to delicious cakes and sweet treats…) so this week I decided to give the Slimming World chill mac n’ cheese receipe a go! I don’t follow the Slimming World plan personally but we make quite a few of their recipes at home (including the diet cola chicken and the creamy mushroom and prawn pasta) so as pasta is one of my favourite foods, I made this slimming world syn-free dish to try.
It went down a treat and I can’t wait to make it again! The recipe is easy to follow and takes around 45 minutes to prep and cook. You’ll more than likely have these ingredients in your cupboard already, so there’s no need to go out and spend money on any fancy ingredients!
I can’t wait to make it in the Winter months when I’m in need of something warm and comforting to come home from work to. This recipe serves 4 people so any leftovers can be popped in a container and warmed up for lunch the next day.
I’m really enjoying trying new recipes and Slimming World have so many tasty and easy ones to make. You don’t feel deprived of anything either as the food is packed full of flavour. Let me know if you make this Slimming World chilli mac n’ cheese – or any Slimming World recipes you’d recommend me trying!
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 peppers, diced (red or yellow work well)
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans (mixed beans work well)
- 800ml beef stock
- 250g dried macaroni pasta (any pasta works well)
- 120g cheddar, finely grated
- low calorie cooking spray / spray oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion granules (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Get the spice mix ready by mixing all the spices together in a small bowl
- Spray a large oven-proof saucepan/casserole dish with cooking spray or oil, and gently fry the onions & garlic for 3 minutes or until soft
- Add the chopped pepper and fry for 1 more minute
- Add the beef mince and cook until brown, stirring and breaking it up with the spoon
- Stir the spice mix through the meat thoroughly
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, kidney beans and Worcestershire sauce, then stir again
- Add the beef stock and pasta and stir well. Pop a lid on top and simmer gently for 15 minutes (or until the pasta is cooked). For the last few minutes, remove the lid and bubble gently, giving it a good stir
- Remove from the heat and stir through half of the cheese (60g)
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and oven bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese has melted and browned a little on top.
- Serve with an optional side salad. The chilli mac n' cheese leftovers taste delicious the next day for lunch too!
- For those following Slimming World - this has 0 syns.